Adding in Guardrails to Your LifeDecember 5, 2023
Caffeinated Thought of the Week:
Despite what most people may think, necessities and drives in life thrive with structure - be it food, sleep, time with God, work, sex, or exercise. The key is establishing guardrails for when to engage in specific activities and when to refrain, setting yourself up for success.
Here are three effective ways to add more structure to your life:
- Define success in the area
- Example: Commit to eating a healthy breakfast, lunch, and dinner Monday through Friday.
- Face reality and take action
- Example: Take proactive steps by planning your meals, shopping for nutritious ingredients, and food prepping.
- Get started and use the 80/20 Rule
- Example: Start tomorrow! However, remember don’t shame yourself if your friend suggests getting wings on a Tuesday and you go for it.
Quote of the Week:
“Freedom is not so much the absence or restrictions as finding the right ones, those that fit with the realities of our own nature and those of the world.” - Timothy Keller from Every Good Endeavor pg 25
Metaphor of the Week:
Consider a fish in the sea - they have less freedom, bound to swimming instead of flopping around on land. Does this guardrail benefit their lives? Yes, or they would die.
What guardrails do you have in place that are setting you up for success in your life? Or what new guard rails do you need set up?
Sign up for the BetterWithBabs newsletter.